The Student Advocate is a professional, registered social services worker available to assist those who are experiencing difficulties. Their main areas of service are financial and academic advocacy. They are also a source of referrals or support for victims of Sexual Assault, those dealing with Mental Health Issues or those seeking Personal Support.

The Advocate operates in an advisory capacity and has the power to investigate, the power to recommend and the power to represent.

The Student Advocate is there for you in times of crisis, but also helps you manage issues before they become a crisis. Please visit her at our office or send an email to book an appointment.


During these uncertain times, with policies and procedures changing almost daily, it has become vital that your voice be heard. The skill of self-advocacy is an important one. It helps ensure that your rights are upheld and your voice/position is considered.

We have attached a link below to a complete Student Guide to Self Advocacy. Please take some time to familiarize yourself with the steps found in this document. As always, the Advocate is here to assist you with any issue you require advocacy for. The Advocate can be reached at: or 306-586-8811 x 204.

Self Advocacy Guide

When should you consult the Student Advocate?

If you find yourself saying things like:

  • I feel like I am being treated unfairly!
  • I feel like no one is listening to me!
  • I’d like to talk about my problem with someone before I do anything else.
  • I don’t know which way to turn!
  • Will I be able to live on this much money?
  • All I get is the run-around!
  • How will I ever get this mess sorted out?
  • I just don’t know where to start!

Then perhaps the Student Advocate is just the person you need!

What happens when you go to the Student Advocate Office?

The Advocate will:

  • Listen carefully to your concerns.
  • Clarify and assess your situation.
  • Provide information on the appeal mechanisms pertinent to your circumstances.
  • Help you to understand the policies, procedures, and practices appropriate to your situation.
  • Discuss possible courses of action.
  • Make inquiries or conduct investigations to obtain the facts and when appropriate, recommend suitable solutions.
  • Assist you in devising a suitable plan of action.
  • Offer to intervene in some way (prepare and/or present appeals to the University, Student Loans, Rentalsman . . . )
  • Keep confidential records of your case.

Can the Student Advocate help me with Academic and/or Disciplinary Appeals?

Academic and Disciplinary advocacy concerns any issues you may have with various faculties, departments or instructors of the University of Regina.

The Advocate can:

  • Provide you with information on the policies, procedures and practices of the university with respect to your situation.
  • Assist in mitigating a suitable resolution to your problems with the university.

Such problems may include:

  • Compassionate Withdrawals
  • Deferral of examinations and assignments
  • Appeals of Required To Discontinue Studies – RTD
  • Academic re-reads
  • Admissions Appeals
  • Registration Appeals
  • Transfer Credits
  • Filing Complaints
  • Financial Account or Fines
  • Appeals to the Council Committee on Student Appeals
  • Appeals to the Council Disciplinary Committee
  • Appeals to the Senate Committee on Student Appeals

Can the Student Advocate help me with Student Loan Appeals?

The Student Advocate has a strong background in appeals to Student Loans.

The Advocate Can:

  • Assist you in filling out your Student Loan Application Forms.
  • Assist in the preparation and presentation of reassessment requests and appeals to Student Loans.
  • Provide you with information on current Student Loan Programs, Scholarships, and Grants.
  • Provide you with pertinent Student Loan information and policies affecting your situation.
  • Assess the appropriate amount of Student Loan funding you should be eligible to receive for each academic period.
  • Provide you with information on repayment programs and difficulties.

What about if I have financial needs?

The Student Advocate Office provides professional advocacy services to students regarding financial aid assistance. The Student Advocate is also the facilitator of the Students’ Union Emergency Bursary.

The Advocate can:

  • Assist you in filling out your Student Loan application forms.
  • Assist in the preparation and presentation of reassessment requests and appeals to Student Loans.
  • Provide you with information and/or referrals to various emergency loan programs or private Student Loan Programs.
  • Assist you in developing a spending plan that suits your individual income and needs.
  • Mediate issues you may be having with creditors or collection agencies.

Is there anyone on campus who can notarize documents for me?

The Student Advocate is a Notary Public!

A notary can certify original documents, administer oaths and receive affidavits, affirmations and declarations authorized by Saskatchewan and Canadian statues. A Notary can take evidence under oath and give evidence before a court or tribunal.

What would a U of R student need Notarized?

  • Education/Teaching Certificates
  • Research or Employment Contracts
  • VISA Application Forms
  • Immigration Documents
  • Declarations
  • Attestations
  • Affirmations
  • Travel Documents
  • Certifications of International Drivers License
  • Power of Attorney

Please note: there is a nominal charge for non-essential student documents. Please consult the Student Advocate for more details.

Can the Student Advocate help me with mediating with external organizations?

Short answer; Yes! The advocate can help you mediate with various community agencies or companies that you may be experiencing difficulties with.

The Advocate can mediate on your behalf between:

  • Your Landlord
  • Creditors
  • Collection Agents
  • Sask Tel
  • Sask Power
  • Sask Energy
  • Social Services
  • Human Resources Development Canada

What if I just don’t know what I need to resolve my problem?

The Student Advocate Office also operates a reciprocal referral service to many on and off campus agencies.

The Advocate can refer you to such agencies that may include:

  • The Office of the Rentalsman
  • The Provincial Debit Mediator
  • The Provincial Ombudsman
  • The Food Bank
  • Unemployed Workers’ Centre
  • Welfare Rights
  • Human Rights Commission
  • Consumer Protections Branch
  • Counselling and Support Services
  • Children’s Advocate
Close Bitnami banner